The Institute of Catalysis and Petrochemistry is a research center belonging to the Spanish Council for Scientific Research (CSIC), an agency under the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (MINECO), and is framed within the Area of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, one of eight scientific-technical areas in which the CSIC divides its research activities.
The main purpose is to <span bold;"="">develop new technological solutions within the field of catalysis, which contribute to improving the quality of life of citizens and enhance the competitiveness of our chemical industry, within the concept of Green Chemistry. Work in the development of advanced catalysts, both inorganic and enzymatic processes and innovative chemistry, along three main lines: energy, environmental protection and selective synthesis of chemical compounds.
The ICP was established in 1975, as a consequence of the research activity formerly developed at the laboratory of Catalysis founded in 1952 by Prof. Juan Francisco García de la Banda, which in 1956 became the Catalysis Section and in 1972 the Department of Catalysis of the Institute of Physical Chemistry “Rocasolano” belonging to CSIC.
Due to its evolution, the ICP moved from its former headquarters at the center of Madrid out of the city, to a new building open in 1992 located at the campus of Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, forming part together with this university of the Excellence campus.